Saturday, September 02, 2006

Heroes

I think it is a good thing to have heroes. I'm not sure why, but I've been thinking about mine the last few days (9 hour trips give one time for such things).

If nothing else, having heroes keeps one from letting purposelessness and cynicism take over.

A while back I had no heroes. I realized this through a conversation with Vinny, a friend of my son Jon. We were talking about who we would choose to spend time with if we could as a make-a-wish (Jon was fighting cancer at the time). Vinny said he would choose the Dalai Lama. I couldn't come up with anyone, though I thought the Dalai Lama would be an excellent choice.

Since then, I've identified a few heroes for myself.

The first one is Jon, my son. Jon died of his cancer soon after that talk with Vinny. He fought the cancer and accepted his death with courage, concern for others and a lack of complaining or self-pity. This would be admirable at any age, but at the age of 14...

I gained another hero through the experience of Jon's illness. Jim Williams was Jon's Oncologist at the University of Michigan hospital. Anyone who works oncology, especially pediatric oncology, has my lasting respect and admiration. What elevated Jim to the status of a hero for me was the extent that he allowed his heart to remain open to the children he cared for. When Jon died, Jim grieved like he had lost a son. I can't imagine going through that so often and choosing to stick with it. I'm glad people do.

Paul Farmer is a hero of mine that can become yours as well. I only know Paul Farmer through reading 'Mountains Beyond Mountains'. Paul shows that one person can make a huge difference in the world. Read the book. Allow yourself to consider that you, too, could live like that.

Lastly, at least for now, there is my wife Lisa. Lisa loves me. That alone is enough to prove hero status. But, more significantly (perhaps), I continue to grow in my admiration for the tenacity with which Lisa allows the hardships we've experienced to mold her into a better person.

If you have no personal hero, I recommend seeking some out. I'm so glad for mine.

3 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you romantic you! I don't think it is easy to be identified as a hero. It brings pleasure to think that someone is encouraged by how I live, especially someone I really know and care about. Sometimes it bring the distance of the pedestal you are placed on into the relationship. Mostly it is amazing to have someone who knows me better than anyone, not only still put up with me, but call me a hero publically! I will do more thinking about who mine are in response to your blog - I would definitely ditto your choices and add you to my list as well. You have stood firm against so many odds and loved in a way that transforms people into their best selves. I love your heart! Forever and for always, Your Gem.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey parental units...um you know how i had to write an autobiography that night i had the mental breakdown?? wellllll when i wrote about you two i wrote about you as both my parents, role models and my heroes. i love you both so much and you mean so so so much to me. <3 boolie

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth-dear,
I think maybe you are growing into a hero of mine too. You are so resilient, you keep bouncing back from every blow life has dealt you with love and compassion. Your <3 is awesome. You have always wanted to be someone who makes a difference....You are for so many of us. Love one of those infamous parental units. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home