Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks

Home - is where I want to be
But I guess I'm already there
It's Thanksgiving day and we have my extended family visiting. It's great to see everyone. I trust no one minds if I say especially Beth.
In the last week or so, I've had several experiences of Not A² feeling like home. The first was at one of Andrew's indoor soccer games. I'm not sure what brought it on. Perhaps it was because I invested a bit more than usual by introducing myself to one of the fellow Dad's and learning some of the teammates names. But, suddenly, sitting there on a metal bleacher, I had the thought 'this is home' pop into my head. It felt good.
Then, I was walking back to the van after church and it struck me how much I like St. James. It is such a healthy place.
Establishing a new home in one's heart also entails the closing of doors. I guess accepting that reality is part of the process. Lisa and I experienced this in learning that our previous church is going in a direction that would not be of our choosing. Not that we'll love the people less, but it will become a bit less of home for us.
So, today, I'm grateful for Home. Both the concept itself (which can hardly be underestimated in terms of its power) and the process of participating in the creation of a new one.
Going home
Back where I belong
To stay
Rays of light
They will turn the night
To day
Birds travel together
Birds follow the sun
And I - am watching as the birds go flying home

6 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Stu said...

"Is this guy ever going to stop with the Talking Heads references?"

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Chris Stauffer said...

This is great stuff. It sounds like God's plan is unfolding.

However, I know verrrrrry little of the Talking Heads. Kinda skipped that decade musically. (You can say things like "skipped a decade" when you're really old.)

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Stu said...

I skipped that decade too. Probably the only decade I skipped muically in my life. That should have told me something was awry.

Their music is quirky, varied and fun. And, it's witty. Sort of like the Beatles before they turned cynical.

Hagrid was the one who encouraged me to buy the CD.

You're not really old.

We're thinking of returning to A² after Christmas. I look forward to seeing you.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the "home" concept: You'll never feel completely at home in this orb, but I can see you have emerged into a new phase that seems pretty healthy (not that prior ones were unhealthy, it's just that the tone sounds good in this post on a tough subject).

As for musical eras, I have missed quite a few of them and feel strangely at peace about it.

On visiting A2, will hope to have you over to the new place, though it might be partly covered in plastic in the throes of remodeling, but I guess you would feel "at home" with that concept. Ahem.

If you can find a time, give your A2 goddaughter M. a call. She's pretty down, what with a certain morbid anniversary approaching.

Thanks for supports and posts.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the heads reference's especially when they fit with the post's

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've finally created a blog called Day by Day to get top it its Day by Day-cme

 

Post a Comment

<< Home