Sunday, October 29, 2006

Beauty


If you haven't read my previous posts "A long post" and "A stab at the dark", please do so before reading this one.



"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why?

Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting?

Do you believe you're fighting for something, something more than your survival?

Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know?

Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace? Could it be love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the matrix itself.

Although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love.

You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting.

Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why? Why do you persist?"


"Because I choose to..."


The picture above is a mediocre shot taken out the kitchen window of my inlaws house. They have a very nice garden out there with this japanese maple. But, I took this picture because a few minutes prior I had been accosted by the 'beauty' of it. I bet you know what I'm talking about. You're going about your day when something catches you. Sometimes, it's a scene, or a face, a mountain, or a stream. Often, for me, it's a piece of music.

Usually, it's gone as quickly as it arrives. It arrives and departs out of my control. Of course, there are experiences where I have some say - like the beauty of the Bach music I'm listening to now. I can plop this CD in anytime. But, even then, if I overplay it, the magic goes. At best, it's on loan.

So, while I desperately wish it were otherwise, I know there is something that I hunger for that I do not and cannot possess. I cannot control or hoard it. If and when I receive it, it comes as a gift.

And, there's another interesting thing I've noticed. While that moment of experiencing the beauty of that fall scene left a pang, the pang came as a result of the moment fleeting away. There was nothing sad in the experience itself. I've noticed this to be different than the beauty created by humans (yes, we do have that capability). At least when it comes to music, it seems to me that beautiful music is almost always sorrowful. There is almost a direct correlation - the more beautiful, the more sorrowful. Again, it points to a desire that is beyond me (us). As a human, I can only create it by expressing it's absence.

I hope you see the connection to the Matrix Revolutions quote.

There are those who are materialists. They believe that my moment of being accosted by beauty was nothing more than electrochemical reactions occuring in my body and brain as a result of photons reflected off the tree and through the window and into my retinas. I can't prove them wrong and, often, to think otherwise does seem feeble and insipid.

There are other reasons for not being a materialist, but for me the most powerful reason is this experience of beauty. In the end, I choose to believe that this gift has a reality beyond the material and, that when there is a gift, there is a Giver. I choose to believe that beauty does point to something beyond photons, chemicals, and neurons.

So, while I can very much relate to those who choose athiesm and/or materialism (can one be an atheist without being a materialist?), it's not the path for me. And that despite the fact that I so often wrestle with feelings of estrangement and disillusionment with respect to the Giver.

By the way, I hope that no one will think I'm equating the evil of Agent Smith with atheism or materialism. His evil has to do with wishing to deny the freedom to choose, not the choice that is made. This evil occurs on both sides of this fence.

6 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Stu said...

By the way, these thoughts are not particularily my own. They've been expressed hugely more eloquently by C.S. Lewis in "The Weight of Glory".

I cannot recommend that sermon highly enough. It's available in a book by the same title.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked 6-yr old Michael if he knew what "Will" means (after praying a famous prayer). He said, "Sure, it's something you write before you die...And your choices."

Seemed like a very succinct and fairly accurate answer.

Looks like I need to do some blog-reading to see if I can hang with the thoughts flowing here.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Stu said...

Hey, say 'Yo' to Chester for me!

If you can hang with the thoughts?

Give me a break.

Clem is one of the most intelligent people I know. Do not play scrabble against him.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger M.O.M. said...

Hey Uncle Stubert!

Weird I should read this post at this time...Just yesterday I was remarking to a friend (while planning yet another baby funeral) that Beauty exists to ameliorate the pain of this existence. So much of Life is just plain hard. Life, because of death, is pretty "sucky" at best, to use a vulgar term. Hence our need for things like butterflies, glorious sunsets, sunrises that slowly paint the horizon from purple to pink to orange, hummingbirds, hummingbird eggs (!), the smell of roses and lavender, shorelines, riverbeds, ice coated trees in the winter, snow covered sparkly fields, fields of grass when the wind blows across them, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Bare Naked Ladies (OK, maybe not beauty exactly, but humor is a form of beauty) etc. etc. Thank you to "the Giver" for giving us these marvelous things. Makes me feel better, when I stop to enjoy.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu,
You can relate - when I had to change employment, I had my doubts about about my balance of strengths to weaknesses. What m.o.m. posted reminds me of the book I'm reading now called, "Now Discover Your Strengths." It's a little bit older book by Buckingham & Clifton kind of geared toward careers, but I find it cool for other purposes.

Just the idea that we can do more by focusing on our strengths (once we figure out what they are) than trying to "paper over" our weaknesses does a lot for me. I went through their 34 strengths and came up with a theme of 6 different ones. One of them was "Belief" which encapsulates the desire to have what we do be important, for one thing.

Let me tell you something. What you have done in your family and during Jon's death AND after are important and valuable to not just yourself and Lisa-Gem, but to the rest of the cloud of witnesses. Dad G alluded to the crowd at Zion Lutheran for the funeral. Just wait until you get to that other Zion across the border, crossing from seeing dimly to the Beatific Vision, as we Catholics are fond of evoking.

You are THE MAN! Yes, you have your doubts, just like the rest of us, but you beat them back and cling to the Truth. Peter and the waves have nothing on you and Lisa.

Love you lots too.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Stu said...

Thanks, Clem!

I certainly can relate. It seems like the older we get, the challenge of job change grows exponentially, given our greater commitments and our declining competitiveness in the market. Part of growing older, I guess.

Btw, I haven't (totally) forgotten your request for a strengths assesment. I'll try to do it this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home