Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hagrid

One of my best friends I call Hagrid. I'm not shy about calling him that and I consider it a significant compliment. As far as I know, he's never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books, so he doesn't really know why I call him that.

He does resemble Rubeus Hagrid some, but that's not primarily why I gave him the name.

There are quite a few character traits he shares with Ruby. First, he is refreshingly without pretense. He speaks his mind rather freely (though, he often regrets it - without warrant in my opinion). He carries himself as a simple man, but he is very intelligent and insightful. He doesn't tend to be subject to what others think.

Second, he is incredibly loyal. He can be counted on for the important things. While he can't always be trusted with a secret, I'd trust him with my life.

Third, he is often misjudged and those who misjudge him end up reflecting badly on themselves rather than him.

In several ways, I wish I was as free as he is, especially when it comes to telling people I love them.

5 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps your blog is practice for the freedom of expression we enjoy so much from Hagrid.
Another thought about what I love about Hagrid, is that he has brought was what great about the 60/70's era with him into adulthood. He loves the old tunes and can be the hippie for sure, but he still holds the record for Sundays spent in the soup kitchen feeding folks who need a meal. He has all the responsibilties that go with mid-life crisis but is still passionate about social justice. We love you Hagrid and the rest of the crew too - you are overdue for a visit!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Chris Stauffer said...

Hagrid is awesome. I'm trying to put into words how his singing at church affects me - it adds worshipfulnes to the worship. He is totally unpretentious, and he loves people. My favorite memory is when Billy K first came to lead youth group at C&R. Billy arrived, kinda nervous, and we parents were waiting for him. Hagrid walked up to him, grasped him on the arm and gave him a friendly punch - warm, loving, manly, ice-breaking gesture. Good man.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Stu said...

I once watched as Hagrid reached out and pulled close a very sophistocated 30 something lady (I bet you can guess who, mommy), looked her in the eye and told her that he loved her. She sort of melted sopping up the affection.

It is the freedom afforded by the lack of pretense that makes that kind of behavior possible. This lady didn't have to worry at all about what might be behind the statement. So, she was free to receive it without pretense as well.

I envy that kind of freedom.

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad...you were up at 1am!?!?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Stu said...

No, I wasn't. Don't know what's up with the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home